Committee Message - 1 May, 2019
- Booking is now open for our Spring Bank Holiday walk - we hope to see you
- Our Easter walk went well - the weather was a very substantial improvement
on the rain and flooding we had in 2018, though the enjoyment levels were high
on both occasions!
- For those who have young children or grandchildren (or any other
relationship!), don’t forget our ‘Find the Deer in Dereham’ event coming up on
May Day - 6 May. See the flyer for this.
- And also this month marks the first of a series of monthly short walks - the
walks will be on the first Friday of the month at 10:00am starting from the Queen
Mother's Garden, which can be accessed via a pathway by the side of new
apartments opposite Romany Rye on Church Street, or by the main car park
entrance on Withburga Lane. The walks will be leisurely and no more than 4 miles
long. There will be a charge of £2 for each walk. The walks will be led by a
member of Dereham WaW; any queries about the walks contact 07887 604040.
- You may have seen changes to the planned dates for our September and/or
October walks. We were anxious to include a walk using the Mid‑Norfolk Railway,
but this has limited running in October, so we thought we would change the
planned date to fit in. Only later did we realise that this brought it only a
week after the September walk, so thought we would change that. This was not
possible for various reasons, so we are now going ahead with 29 September for
the ‘garden party’ walk, and 6 October for the MNR walk. Our website is
correctly showing these dates.
- We’re still seeking funding to print a third run of the walks packs. We have
been declined for two bids for a large sum to print 10,000 sets, and are
exploring other ways of printing smaller numbers (albeit at higher unit cost).
If anyone has any thoughts about how best to go about this, we would be pleased
to hear them. At present, we are checking trying to combine a number of smaller
sums, and perhaps printing in monochrome instead of colour.