Committee meeting synopsis
Meeting date: 1 September, 2016
- We had collected £92 from the sales of the quizzes - thanks to
everyone who bought one and had a go.
- We reviewed the plans for our walks and garden party on 2 October.
There will be a choice of walks, 3 miles or 5 miles. Both sets of
walkers are welcome to return to tea and home made cakes on return -
no charge but donations will be invited.
- We discussed the planned walks we are entering in the Norfolk
County Council Walking Festival: the Festival runs from 22 to 30
October; our walks will take place on 23, 26 and 28 October. The first
two walks are the same, and will feature a ride out to Thuxton on the
Mid-Norfolk Railway, walking back to Dereham. All taking part will be
offered a complimentary drink before the train starts. The train ride,
drink and guided walk will be a bargain for the inclusive price of £5.
Once submitted, the walks can be seen at
NCC link DEAD.
- We discussed plans to place ‘Walkers are Welcome’ signs at key
points on the approaches to Dereham. This discussion resulted in
agreeing to look for possible places that:
(1) carried a ‘Dereham’ sign,
(2) were free of clutter from other signs,
(3) were out of the town, where drivers would have more time to look
- We agreed a response to the Commons Select Committee (Environment,
Food and Rural Affairs - EFRA) Inquiry into the role of tourism in
supporting rural growth in England. Our submission argued for better
support (including modest funding) for small and local attractions
which could not access the larger publicity outlets, and so struggled
to make themselves known.
- We continue to respond to any reports of problems on our rights of
way, so if you find anything that isn’t right, please let us know -
or call 07505 426750.